Before you break out your t-shirts, shorts and bikinis, take a moment to evaluate the condition of your skin. Are you ready to bare it all? For as long as I can remember, I have been self-conscious about a minor skin condition I have called Keratosis Pilaris – a common skin condition that causes rough patches and small, acne-like bumps, usually on the back of the arms, thighs, cheeks and buttocks. In my case, I get small bumps on the back of my arms, thighs and the back of my legs. Luckily, after a bit of trial and error, I have found a summer skin prep regimen that helps scrub away dead cells, lighten dark spots and gives me a glowing complexion!
Here are 5 tips to start prepping your skin for the summer:
1. Exfoliate Regularly: Exfoliating your body helps to get rid of dead skin cells and helps to minimize unevenness in pigmentation and texture. Use a moisturizing exfoliant like LoveFresh Sugar Scrubs, an all natural, non-toxic and highly effective sugar scrub with botanical extracts and shea butter. Gentle enough to use daily, these scrubs exfoliate, help to increase circulation and rejuvenates the skin, leaving it smooth and glowing!
2. Moisturize: Both butters and lotions play a key role in moisturizing and nourishing the skin. However each serve a different purpose and moisturize in different ways because of their ingredients. Body butters contains only natural oils with no water added, while lotions contain both oils and water. Most body butters such as GOA par Rodrigo Diaz 5am Walkout Deep Moisture Body Butter use shea butter, an all-natural, healing vitamin A cream, which is ideal for very dry and damaged skin. A body butter will provide superior, longer-lasting hydration, making it the best choice when skin is in need of intense moisture and healing. Body Butter is best used when the skin is wet, such as immediately after a shower or bath.
3. Treat. Some skin imperfections such as body acne, cellulite and require treatment products. For acne on the chest and back use a antimicrobial acne wash that contains Salicylic Acid and Hexamidine such as Skin TX Acne Medicated Wash. This all-in-one cleanser and toner is ideal for all skin types, especially oily and acne-prone skin. For cellulite and uneven skin tone use products that contain a combination of ingredients that are key to the metabolism of fat storage and blood circulation. Environ’s Body Profile contains specialized ingredients to help eliminate excess fluids, strengthen the moisture barrier properties of the skin and boost the skins firmness and elasticity.
4. Conceal: Following tips 1- 3 won’t produce instant results, but it will get you on the right path to smooth, glowing summer skin! In the meantime, you can still give the illusion of “Per-fékt” skin with Per-fékt Body Perfection Gel. This multi-tasking, modern gel-mousse helps cover almost any skin imperfections from birth marks to tattoos. Hyaluronic microspheres help to firm, tone and hydrate; shea butter moisturizes and ceramides lock in moisture. Body perfection gel provides natural, buildable coverage and leaves the skin with a smooth airbrushed and sun-kissed glow.
5. Protect: Last but not least, the final and most important step. No matter what regimen you follow or what products you use, make sure that you are using a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 to protect your skin from the suns damaging rays. Learn how to choose the right sun care products for your skin here.
The Etiket Insider Beauty Editor